The Tshwane University of Technology (TUT) management has condemned rumours and fake emails doing the rounds that two of its campuses have been permanently closed.
In a statement issued on Monday, management reiterated that activities for students at the Soshanguve North and South campuses have been suspended to allow the situation to normalise following two weeks of violent protest action and damage to property. The protests broke out in August after the fatal shooting of a student allegedly by the police during a protest on campus.
“It is important to ensure that it is safe for students and staff to return to their normal activities. The safety of the communities on these campuses is our first priority.
“The university continues to monitor the situation and will announce when activities will resume on its website www.tut.ac.za and in email communication to students on their TUT4Life emails,” the university said.
Academic activities at the two campuses were suspended last week and this will remain the case until further notice. The institution has refuted rumours that students from these campuses will be removed from TUT’s database.
Management said a contingency plan, including increased security at the campuses, will be implemented to ensure the safety of the campus community once activities resume.
The management also emphasised that the year-end examinations will start on 12 November 2018, as scheduled and approved by senate.
The university has seven faculties and nine campuses.
Source – SAnews.gov.za