Most of South Africa’s 26 universities have confirmed the opening dates for the 2020 academic year. This following list details the details which are available currently.
Further details are available on university websites. Details will be updated as these become available.
University of Fort Hare
Telephone 040 602 2011/2589
Telephone 046 603 8111
Application dates: Unavailable
Nelson Mandela University
Telephone 041 504 3364/1111
Application information here
Application deadline (undergraduate): 1 August 2019; thereafter 30 September 2019 on academic merit
Application method: Online
Walter Sisulu University
Telephone 047 502 2111
Application information unavailable
Central University of Technology
Telephone 051 507 3911/053 836 5960
– Second semester (last year of 2nd applications): Now open; closes at the end of May 31 July 2019-04-132020 Undergraduate applications now open; closes on 31 May. Please note only selected programmes to have a second semester intake.
– International undergraduate students: Closes on 30 June
– Undergraduate applications for the following year will open in May/June of each year; closing date is the end of August.
– Application method: Online or by email
University of Johannesburg
Telephone 011 559 4555
– 2020 undergraduate applications: Now open; closes on 29 September 2019
– Application method: Online or by email (More undergraduate information available from here)
University of the Witwatersrand
Telephone 011 717 1000/1099
30 June 2019 – Faculty of Health Sciences (all programmes); Bachelor of Architecture; Bachelor of Audiology, Bachelor of Speech-Language Pathology; BA Film and TV
30 September 2019 – All other University programmes; Residence application
Application method: Online
Vaal University of Technology
Telephone 016 950 9000
Application for 2020 is now open
Documents to be submitted upon application: Certified copy of ID
Deadline: 30 September
University of KwaZulu-Natal
Telephone 031 260 1111
Application information: More details
Closing dates for SA citizens:
– Semester 1 (January intake)
– Medicine: 30 June: No late applications are accepted.
– All other programmes: 30 September.
Semester 2 (August intake)
– Apply directly to UKZN.
– Applications close 30 April.
– Application fee payable to UKZN R200
Durban University of Technology
Telephone 031 373 2000
– Apply online at the Central Applications Office (CAO). (A prospective student who wishes to study at the DUT must apply via the CAO.)
Application deadline: Unconfirmed
University of Zululand
Telephone 035 902 6000
– Online here
– Various deadlines
– Second semester applications available for selected programmes
– You may also apply online by going to www.cao.ac.za.
Tshwane University of Technology (Polokwane campus)
Telephone 015 287 0700/287 0770